Science & Technology draws on the disciplines of biology, chemistry, computer science, design and technology, and physics to enhance our knowledge and understanding of the world.
Science & Technology rely on first hand experiences and on other sources of information and their importance in the modern world cannot be understated.
The Area of Learning and Expertise will support the four purposes of the curriculum to enable learners to become; ambitious, capable learners, ready to learn throughout their lives; enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work; ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world; healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
The main aspects of science & technology to be studied will be determined by the ‘what matters statements’ found in the Science & Technology Area of Learning and Expertise 2022.
The following objectives derived from the above aims will form the basis of our decisions when planning a scheme of work. Assessment will also be related to these objectives:
- to use experiences indoors and outdoors
- to develop learners’ enjoyment and interest in science & technology using real world examples to demonstrate its contribution to everyday life
- to develop an appreciation of the contribution made by famous scientists and inventors to our knowledge of science & technology, including those from Wales and other cultures
- to develop a knowledge of the science & technology contained within the Area of Learning & Expertise 2022
- to develop in learners a general sense of enquiry which encourages them to question and make suggestions
- to encourage learners to predict the likely outcome of their investigations and practical activities
- to provide learners with a range of specific investigations and practical work which gives them a worth-while experience to develop their understanding and skills of science & technology
- to develop progressively learners’ ability to plan, carry out, evaluate and communicate science & technology activities
- to develop the ability to record results in an appropriate manner including the use of
diagrams, graphs, tables and charts
- to introduce learners to the language and vocabulary of science & technology
- to give learners regular opportunities to use the scientific & technological terms necessary to communicate ideas
- to develop learners’ basic practical skills and their ability to make accurate and appropriate measurements
- within practical activities give learners opportunities to use a range of instruments and equipment safely
- to give learners opportunities to use digital media (video, digital camera, data logger) to record their work and to store results for future retrieval
- to give learners the chance to obtain information from a wide range of sources including first-hand experience, books, internet and experts in their field