St David's Church in Wales Primary School is a Voluntary Aided primary school with a strong and distinctive Christian character. The first priority of the Governors, as the Admissions Authority, is to admit the children of families who choose to have their children educated within a Christian ethos, emphasising the importance of prayer, worship and Christian teaching.
This is reflected in the whole life of the school. With this in mind, if the school is oversubscribed, priority will be given to the children of families who can demonstrate this through their active involvement in a Christian community.
The standard number of children that may be admitted to the Reception class each year is 30. St David's CiW Primary School offers part-time Nursery places five mornings and five afternoons each week. Children are admitted to the morning nursery class in the autumn term of the academic year of their fourth birthday. (The academic year runs from 1st September to 31st August.)
We also provide a rising 3’s afternoon Nursery class to which pupils are admitted at the beginning the term following their 3rd birthday. The school admits up to 30 nursery pupils each year in each class. In the event of more than 30 applications for nursery places, the same oversubscription criteria would be applied as set out for the allocation of places in the Reception class.
Applications for Nursery places should be submitted directly to the school. Parents will be notified of the decision on the last day of the spring term, prior to the Easter break. As in all schools, children who are admitted to our nursery classes will not have an automatic right of admission to full time education at our school. A child’s name can be entered onto the waiting list at any age from birth to school age, but no guarantee of a place can be given.
Please find a copy of our Admissions policy and application form.
Key dates for Reception Applications
If your child was born between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020
|Date||Step in the application process|
|Monday 14 November 2022||Application process for starting Reception in September 2023 begins.|
|Monday 7th January 2024||Closing date for online applications. After this date any new applications will need to be done on paper and will be considered as a late application.|
|February to April 2024||All applications are processed and assessed against the Admission Criteria. We will check and verify your address and any supporting information you have given us.|
|Monday 16th April 2024||Offer day. We will send you an email or a letter if you have asked for your offer to be sent by post. Decisions can also be given over the phone after 12pm on the offer day.|
|April 2024||Waiting lists are established.|
|Tuesday 30th May 2024||Closing date for you to accept or refuse the place we have offered. We reserve the right to withdraw offers that have not been responded to by this date. This is also the closing date for late applications.|
|June 2024||Second round (late) applications processed and assessed.|
|July 2024||Second round results sent out via post. All following rounds are processed|
on a monthly basis from now on.
|September 2024||Children start primary school.|
* All families are also advised to apply for other schools within the Local Authority in addition to applying for placement at St Davids.
APPLY ONLINE AT: www.cardiff.gov.uk/schooladmissions
An application must be submitted for a school that a parent wishes their child to attend. The Council accepts applications via the Council’s Online Application Service or by a completed preference form submitted at a Council Hub, emailed to email@example.com or posted to School Admissions, Room 401, County Hall, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4UW. The Council takes no responsibility for any loss of data as a result of the method chosen by the applicant to deliver the information
High School Applications 2024
Dear Parent(s)/Guardian(s): Transfer to Secondary Education 2023 Make an application
• If you have a child currently in year 6 you will need to apply for a place in a secondary school this autumn.
• Applications open on Monday 25 September 2023.
The closing date for applications is Monday 30 November 2023. Applications received after this date will be considered after all the on time applications have been assessed.
Many schools fill up in this first round of allocations so it greatly increases your chance of being allocated one of your preferences if you apply on time.
• We strongly recommend that you apply for 5 different schools (or 3 if solely applying for Welsh medium education) and that you include the school that you live nearest to.
• Whilst living in a catchment area can help your child’s chances of receiving an offer of a place at the school (if applied for), there is no guarantee this will be possible. You can check your catchment area Community Schools for your address at www.cardiff.gov.uk/onlinemaps
• We will allocate you the highest preference that we can. Some schools will be oversubscribed in which case we will use the published oversubscription criteria to allocate places up to the number of places available at that school. If you fall outside this number we will look at your next preference. Therefore it is important to express as many preferences as you can (up to the maximum of 5) as you may be able to secure a school in the first round that will not be available in subsequent rounds.
• Be sure to answer all the questions in the application process fully. These answers (such as details of older siblings, or medical/social issues your child may have) can influence your eligibility for a school place. If you don’t tell us we don’t know.
• Cardiff community schools do not operate a feeder system. Attendance at particular primary has no bearing on how likely we are to be able to offer a particular secondary school. This may not be the case for our co-ordinated admissions partner schools (see below) please check their oversubscription criteria as they differ from the Council’s.
• Whitchurch High (Foundation) School, Bishop of Llandaff CW High School, Corpus Christi RC High School and St Teilo’s CW High School are part of our co-ordinated admissions scheme. If you apply for Bishop of Llandaff CW High School, Corpus Christi RC High School or St Teilo’s CW High School you must also complete a supplementary form which is available from the school or their website, otherwise it will not be possible to accept preferences for those schools.
Please note: Mary Immaculate RC High School and St Illtyd’s RC High School are not part of this scheme. If you would your child to attend any of these schools you will need to apply directly to the school.
• You can make changes to your application up to the closing date, but if you do be sure to press ‘Submit’ on the final page when you are happy with your application. Applications left unsubmitted at the point the system closes cannot be accepted.
• If your child is the subject of a statement of special educational needs or is undergoing a formal assessment you are still required to submit an application for your preferred school places. You will be notified of your child’s proposed school place by the Achievement and Inclusion Service as soon as possible.
• If you would like support with your application, assistance is available at Council Hubs or via your Primary School. You can find the locations and opening hours of the hubs at www.cardiff.gov.uk/hubs
What happens next?
• You will receive the outcome of your application on Friday 1st March 2024.
You will need to accept or reject an offer of a place by Wednesday, 15th March 2024. If we have been unable to offer you a place at one of your preferred schools, you may submit a new application for one of the alternatives proposed by Wednesday, 15th March 2024.
• Should you not receive an offer for your highest preference school on March 1st, you will remain on a waiting list and will be contacted if there is a change of circumstances.
• Any places that parents reject in the first round will be reallocated in subsequent rounds. If you are on a waiting list for a place, you application will be reconsidered if places become available.
• You must tell us if you move house between receiving your offer and the beginning of term in September 2023. A change of address might affect your entitlement to your school place and / or your position on a waiting list, hence you should tell us as soon as possible so that we can discuss your options.
More information can be found in the ‘School admissions booklet 2024/25’ which is available at www.cardiff.gov.uk/schooladmissions
Key Dates for Secondary Applications
|Monday 26 September 2022|
Applications are open.
Apply online at www.cardiff.gov.uk/secondaryadmissions
If you apply for Corpus Christi RC High School or St Teilo’s CW High School you must also complete a supplementary form which is available from the school.
|Monday 21 November 2022.||Applications close|
|December / January / February||Applications are assessed against the admissions criteria. |
This includes checking and verifying addresses and supporting information.
|Wednesday, 1 March 2023|
Notification of offer.
Parents must accept or decline the offer made by Wednesday, 15th March 2023
Additional Information regarding St Teilo's Applications
Additional information regarding Corpus Christi RC Applications
All website content copyright © St David's C.I.W. Primary School : Website PolicyWebsite design for primary schools, by PrimarySite.net