Every playtime and lunch time, selected children from Year 3 plan, arrange and deliver a variety of activities and games for children to play on the school yard.
Led by Miss Cooper, the aim of the sessions are to ensure that all children have a fun and enjoyable playtime, where they can interact and communicate with other children, whilst improving their health, fitness and well-being.
Playground Leaders are carefully selected based on their personal attributes and willingness to undertake a responsibility within school. After the selection process, each child is provided with training so that they can offer a wide range of games and activities for different ages that will engage girls and boys.
The Six Key Principles for Playground Leaders are:
- Enjoyment – If the children do not find sessions fun and enjoyable they will not return.
- Co-operation – Working together with children of different ages.
- Safety – Understand the importance of health and safety by making sure that all equipment is safe and that children play by the rules.
- Opportunities – Creating opportunities for children so that they can take part in a variety of different activities and games.
- Instructions – Providing clear and accurate instructions so that everyone knows what to do and the expectations required of them.
- Responsibility – Taking responsibility for the welfare of others
Key actions for this Half term
- Speak to teachers about the playground and what they want to change
- Speak to pupils about the playground and what they want to change
- Understand the playground rota
- Look at what equipment we have and see what we could add or change
- See how we can improve the rota system for all
The playground Buddies - 2023/2024